Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Kids Acting Out

I am currently teaching a children's theatre class for an organization called Kids Acting Out. This organization is really cool and provides great opportunities for elementary students.
When I decided to take on this position I knew that it would further my learning in elementary education. I knew that this experience would be a great opportunity for me to grow as an aspiring teacher. What I didn't know is that I would have 12 first and second graders who cannot comprehend the idea of facing the audience, and 10 third, fourth and fifth graders who know it all and don't need to listen while I'm talking.
I know you probably want to say "DUH!!!" but you see, I was told I would have mostly 5th graders and that most of them have previously done this program. On the 1st day of class I arrived to meet the 3 fifth graders and only 2 students that had ever done this before. The director of the program cannot understand why the kids are having such a hard time with stage direction
I, however, cannot understand how I am going to pull off a play with these kids with only 5 weeks left.
(Today is "No Scripts Allowed" night. Wish me luck!)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh, you can do anything.....even if they mess up, their just so cute it won't even matter.